Gestor do Forum
Registado: 04 jan 2011, 23:39
Data de fabrico: 09 jun 2011
Capacidade bateria: 59 Ah 12 barras
Contacto:

Cost effectiveness of electric cars

Mensagem por ruimegas » 26 mai 2012, 23:19

Cost effectiveness of electric cars

"Nissan fell just short of selling its goal of 10,000 Leafs in 2011. According to the company, a little more than 9,600 of the electric cars were sold last year.

It's said that the car pays for itself in gas savings but with the vehicles costing nearly $40,000, is it worth it?

12 News HD chopped the numbers.

Lloyd Dawson has owned his Leaf for three months now and he's not the only Dawson who adores the purchase.

"I can't keep it away from my wife," Dawson said.

The retired plant worker studied the Leaf before deciding to buy one.

"It estimates what you're driving capabilities are from the way you're driving and the amount of voltage and current you're pulling out of the battery," Dawson said.

But what won him over was the savings in gas.

" My other vehicles got 17 miles to a gallon of gas. At today's price to go 1,000 miles I was spending over $200. This car does it for $30.

The Leaf is not considered a commuter vehicle, only able to travel 100 miles on a single charge. The Nissan Versa, a cousin to the Leaf, is considered a fuel efficient car getting 25 miles to the gallon in the city.

"The Versa is a good car as conventional gas engines go but the Leaf is so much more environmental friendly. There's no emissions, no tail pipe," Larry Quebodeax with Nissan said.

Quebodeax says a fully loaded leaf sells for $30,500 after a government rebate. That price includes the installation of a charging station at your home.

A fully loaded Versa sells for $18,000.

But how long do gas savings from the leaf take to pay the $12,500 difference?

A year of driving the Versa averages out to $1,875 in gas costs. A year of driving the Leaf averages out to $346 in electricity costs. That's $1,527 in savings a year with the Leaf. If you divide the difference in cost of the two vehicles by that number, you come to find out that it takes just over 8 years before you break even and start saving money.

Quibodeaux says that number should be less than 8 years because you also save in maintenance cost with the Leaf.

"Rotate tires, check brakes, that's about it. There's no oil change, no oil filters, nothing," he said.

Dawson says he drives more than the average American so he expects to break even in no time compared to our estimate.

"I think this payback would be about 3 years," Dawson said.

But the three years in extra cost is well spent for Dawson...who finds satisfaction in doing his part to keep the Southeast Texas air clean.

Owners are able to charge their Leafs for free at Nissan Dealerships but the company says that will change as production of the cars begins to grow.

The Leaf's battery requires changing, but Quebodeaux says the battery lasts about 19 years before reaching that point. "

Em: http://www.12newsnow.com/story/18555111 ... ctric-cars
NISSAN LEAF Branco c/Spoiler mk1 de 09JUN2011. 195.000 kms.
TESLA Model 3 AWD. Encomenda 03JUL2019. Entrega 09JUL2019. 72078 kms.
Associado da Associação de Utilizadores Veículos Eléctricos http://www.uve.pt

Responder

Voltar para “Página principal de Discussão e Notícias”